Have tendinosis in shoulders, joint effusion and carpel tunnel in wrist. What to do?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have tendinosis in both shoulders, joint efussions in both elbows and left wrist, carpal tunnel and cubital tunnel of the right wrist and elbow. The workers comp drs just rush me in and out with not really doing anything for me. Meanwhile i seem to be getting worse. I have been to a few different doctors. I had a EMG to confirm carpal tunnel as well as cubital. My MRI's came out positive for the joint efussions and tendinosis. I also have a tear in my left shoulder. I have been doing PT since april. The PT is a joke. they just ask where it hurts and put these electrodes on. I am there a total of 30 min. I feel like i do not matter and i am deteriating.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: May need surgical treatment. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The multiple joint inflammations that you are having are not likely to get better only with the physiotherapy that you are getting. It needs proper rest, pain killers, methylcobalamin supplements and local cortisone shots for symptomatic relief. The tear in the cartilage of the left shoulder may need to be repaired surgically if it is a full thickness tear. You need to consult an orthopedician for proper examination and treatment according to the severity of the symptoms. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
I have been off work since July 18th. Nothing has resolved. The cubital tunnel and carpal are still causing me problems. The efussions have not gotton better and the tendinosis. is very debilitating. The tear in my left shoulder is a small partial tear of the deltoid. Also i have read that joint efussions should be drained. Tendinosis of the shoulder are small tears and have a different approach to treatment. Why are the workers comp Drs not listening to me?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer: You can go for a private consultation. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. The small joint effusions can also heal conservatively with steroid injections. The partial is also treated conservatively unless the pain is very severe. Using an arm sling and a hot fomentation will help you. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
What about the carpal tunnel and the cubital tunnel syndromes?
Brief Answer: Surgery may be needed. Detailed Answer: Hello. Local steroid injections can help along with pain killers if the symptoms are mild. Surgical decompression of the nerve may be needed in case of severe pain. Till then using a brace will be helpful. Regards.