Have tender spots under navel. Tested positive for h pylori. Concerned about tumor

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: I have a tender spot right under my navel and slightly to the right. The area is about two inches to the right of my navel and about an inch or two down from there. It is not a constant pain, but I can feel it a lot. At its worst, whenever I bent forward one day, it felt like something inside was burning - like an open sore on the inside. It hasn't been as bad since, but it is really worrying me because I can still feel it. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis in August this year and just tested positive for h pylori. However, I don't think h pylori would cause pain under the navel area? I do not have rebound pain. My bowel movements are completely normal. I am scared there is a tumor in there..... :( I am anxious by nature and have severe health anxiety which makes matters worse.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

First of all dont be scared. Tumors mostly do not cause the pain before any other symptoms.
Such symptoms can be caused by umbilical hernia, ovarian cyst or appendicitis.
Umbilical hernia would cause also some kind of lump when pushing abdominal cavity (during the coughing for example). There should be also palpated some kind of small hole in this area.
Urinary tract infection can give also burning when urinating, frequent urinating, pain radiating to the back or groin.
Ovarian cyst if not ruptured gives mostly only pain, sometimes no pain at all.
Appendicitis would cause also slight fever, the pain migrating from the center to the right lower abdomen, nausea.
You should have some diagnostics. Abdominal ultrasound, full blood work, urine tests should be performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.