Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

123 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
MD
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have swollen tongue. Allergic to corn. Took benadryl. What test should be done?

Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Sudhir

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2000

Answered : 1417 Questions

default
Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: i have a swollen tongue and am wondering if i have a corn allergy.I have linked some issues I have had with breathing, hives, etc. with a allergic reaction to corn and caffeine. I have never had an allergy test done. Tonight I have a new symptom...my tongue is swollen. My breathing seems OK for now. I took a small amount of benadryl and some ibuprofen and I am waiting it out. I am wondering if this could be the corn allergy as I unknowingly consumed corn syrup in several food items today. and should I have an allergy test done and ask my doctor for an epi (spelling?) pen? I am hoping my chest stays open and I am glad we are close to a hospital..just in case the chest should get tight.
doctor
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 10 minutes later
Hello,

Thanks for the question.

If you get these symptoms every-time you eat corn or have caffeine, then it is very likely to be an allergic reaction.Again, if benadryl is helping to relieve symptoms, then it points more towards allergy.

Your symptoms surely demand an allergic test.Though your doctor is more likely to rely more on your past history and symptoms.

First line treatment is generally antihistaminics and if needed, steroids.Your doctor can help you decide about medications.

As you have mentioned, keep close watch on your symptoms, particularly shortness of breath. Ask some to keep watch on you during sleep as well or you can get up in between to evaluate your symptoms.

Any progress in symptoms warrants ER visit.

Hope this answers your question.Please feel free to ask if there are doubts.

Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
doctor
default
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 22 minutes later
my breathing seems OK...little bit of a stuffy nose though. Tongue is a little better..I think. It has been a couple hours since symptoms started so I would guess anaphylatic shock is not a worry for now?
doctor
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 27 minutes later
Thanks for follow up.

In your situation anaphylactic shock is out of question. Anaphylactic shocks generally occur instantly after exposure to the allergens, and are more likely to occur on the first few occasion of exposure. Since you have previous history of similar complaints, possibility of this seems less likely.

But, sometimes regular allergy symptoms can spread to wind pipe/trachea and compromise it due to swelling and edema. This is the main concern in your case.

Since symptoms are decreasing, I don't think there will be any airway compromise. So just keep a watch. And consider seeing an allergy specialist sooner.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.

Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
doctor
premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication
Lab Tests

Recent questions on Benadryl

doctor1 MD

I have just discovered that I probably have aspartame poisoning: itchy rash and hives on face and eyelids. I have been taking benadryl and it helps for a short time but would like to know if there is anything else I can do. I don t drink very much diet soda but had a large diet coke yesterday and within a couple of hours the rash and itch started. I began reading the ingredients in some of my food products and discovered it was in quite a bit of them.

doctor1 MD

I have a 3 year old with a low grade fever and lower body welts. He had a fever of 101 last night and we gave him some Tylenol. He still had a fever this AM of 99 but has been acting fine. We went to a children s museum this morning for a birthday party. He was fine the entire time we were there and he did not eat anything. We went to lunch about an hour after leaving the museum and when we sat down at the table, he started complaining that his foot was itchy. I observed some small welts on both feel similar to what you would see after a bug bite. Within about ten minutes, the small welts had turned into large welts and traveled up both legs and to his lower back on both sides. My husband left the restaurant to get some benadryl at the walgreens next door. We gave him some benadryl and it seemed to help in about a hour. I know from my other son that the welts can remain for some time, but now I m noticing some welts starting on his cheek. They are very small, but I m a little concerned. We just gave him some more benadryl and more Tylenol since his fever has returned. While at the museum, the only place we went that might have caused some reaction in him was the butterfly garden, but he didn t touch anything or walk in any grass. Im trying to figure out if he is just having a reaction to something he encountered there (environmental) or if it is somehow related to his known food allergies (He has a class 6 peanut/treenut allergy on the rast scale and a class 3 for egg). Again he didn t eat anything, but we are starting to get concerned that it could be something like a touch reaction. He hasn t been in a situation where he has encountered peanuts or treenuts before and honestly we are not sure how sensitive he is to touch. He older brother also have a severe peanut allergy so we had the younger one tested to see if he also had the allergy. Since we found out he does, we ve kept him away from exposure just like his older brother. I did notice a peanut shell on the floor at the restaurant we went to today but it was outside and we just walked by it. He didn t touch it at all. I m not sure what to think about it or if we should be concerned now that is has been hours and he still seems to have some welts periodically forming.

doctor1 MD

I had been bitten by a spider over a week ago. I m guessing it was a brown recluse spider since I was in West Virginia. The spider bite me multiple time in both ankles. I took benadryl and advil for a few days until the itching and swelling went down. Here it is 10 day later the bites have scabbed over, but now I am breaking out in little swollen red hives all over. Could this be cause by that same spider bite? I have been taking Benadryl all day and it doesn t seem to help.

doctor1 MD

My boyfriend has sudden onset of red blotches on his face, neck, and shoulders. And his lips were red and swollen too. He thought it was from the sunscreen we used at the pool today since it happened once earlier today while swimming. However I think it s from alcohol. He has been drinking beer all day and everything I google seems to come up with that answer. He says he feels fine but he doesn t look fine. I gave him a Benadryl to help with the symptoms because it definitely seems like an allergic reaction. The symptoms subsided faster when it happened the first time this afternoon at the pool. However the symptoms seem to be sticking around longer this time.What do you think?

doctor1 MD

Is there a Benadryl -Malox- L:idocaine mouthwash available without prescription?

doctor1 MD

I think I have found bedbug infestation on my mattress. I have also received many bites every night. I got rid of the mattress and have found no signs on the main body of the berd. How do you get rid of bedbugs and will they spread to other parts...

doctor1 MD

I am taking Temezapam for sleep--for at least 3 months. Are alternative medicines available to help me sleep?