Owl Image

Have swollen, painful and pulsating vein below ear. What could it be?

Owl Image
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Question
Hi. I have a swollen, painful and pulsating vein or artery that goes down from below my ear down under my jaw and it bends and goes to the inner side of my jaw. It gets more painful when I press on it. I would grateful if you could tell me what it could be, and if it is XXXXXXX or whether I can have stroke is something. Thank you
Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
A swollen painful vein near the ear that too pulsating is enough to cause distress. It can be caused by a local infection or inflammation in the area. You can look for any palpable lymph nodes in the area. Most of the times it subsides on taking a mild like ibuprofen. Systemic antibiotics might be needed in some cases.
This is not likely to be related to stroke. You can get it examined from your physician for confirmation. Till then cold sponging the area will be helpful.

Let me reassure you that it is just a minor issue and you need not be distressed. There is no major health concern with you. Do not worry.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.