Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Have swollen lymph nodes behind ear, lump on scalp and pain around eye. What could be cause?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
I have swollen lymph nodes behind my right ear and a lump on the top of my scalp and pain around my right eye
Posted Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Various causes listed ma'am, need an examination Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Based on the symptoms provided the possible causes could be: -Localized infection -Common cold or flu -Allergic conditions -Measles -Streptococcal ear, nose and throat infection -Trauma/injury (localization of lumps in different regions raises concern for a possible injury or trauma to the face, does such a history exist ma'am?) -Herpes, shingles, and other sexually transmitted infections -Tooth and mastoid abscesses -Cancer (rare) The reason why I have listed to causes is so you can discuss them with your doctor ma'am. With such a presentation it is best to visit a doctor, as a physical examination would be mandatory. Only with the help of a physical examination and spot laboratory investigations to support the suspected diagnosis, can an accurate diagnosis be established, I hope you understand. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications or information, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have swollen lymph nodes behind ear, lump on scalp and pain around eye. What could be cause? 5 minutes later
I don't have a fever which would eliminate many of your possible causes. Also I don't have any injury or trauma that would cause the symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Most of the causes still to be considered ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am. The absence of elevated body temperature does not eliminate most of the causes ma'am, because infections have an incubation period, during which the body temperature can be normal. This is especially possible with sexually transmitted infections, shingles, herpes, and a few other causes as well. But your point is valid and respectable. For this reason, we could also go ahead with one specific investigation, which I am sure should help but before that I would like you to describe the lump for me. Try to palpate the region of the lumps, and let me know if they are hard or soft? Are they mobile or fixed? Do they feel like they could be fluid-filled? The investigation I would suggest after a physical examination, would be a biopsy. This includes taking a tissue sample to test it in the laboratory, providing us with information on the cause and the available treatment options. In all accordance, when such lumps do appear, doctors initiate a prophylactic course of antibiotics or anti-viral medication. Your doctor might do the same, so do not worry about that. Looking forward to hearing from you ma'am. Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor