Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Have swollen and painful knee. Noticed bump on it. Should I be concerned?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Hi, so recently my knee has been acting up and has become swollen to the point that i find a lot of pain and discomfort put weight directly on it (e.g. kneeling), and this morning i realized that there was a bump and i scratched at it and it popped and there was pus exiting from the wound. I was wondering if this is something that I need to go to a clinic to take care of or if this will resolve itself in the future. It is currently still slightly swollen and there is still some blood that exits from the wound
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

After gone through your present complaint and previous history, it seems that scab formed after your recent injuries over knee got infected. So that your knee become swollen, tender and pus coming out of scratched wound.

I suggest you to consult a doctor as soon as possible for a detailed examination of wound. If on aspiration of swelling pus comes out, it requires incision and drainage and pus sent for culture and sensitivity so that appropriate antibiotic can be started.

Hope I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health....
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor