Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Have swollen and painful foot after a hit. Could I ask a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
I hit the side of my foot with a piece of timber 4 days ago I can walk fine but my foot is really swollen and very painful to touch the spot is half way between my toe to ankle and to the the side but slightly on top of my foot, could I have chipped a bone?
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: it is possible Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Yes, it is possible that you could have chipped a bone. I understand from your query that there is swelling and pain. Is there a visible wound or pus discharge? Did a piece of timber get inside your foot? In such a case an in-dwelling infection is possible causing the swelling and pain. If there is no such thing like visible external wound, then we may have to think of a chipped bone. An x-ray of the affected region in the foot can confirm this. Get well soon. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have swollen and painful foot after a hit. Could I ask a doctor? 2 minutes later
Thanks heaps just wondering If it is chipped is there anything to do other than rest and ice it?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: immobilization required too Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, If there is a chipped bone, immobilization in the form of plaster of paris cast, or splinting would be required. Ice and rest are initial and important management measures. Also, take simple anti-inflammatory drugs like Panadol or Motrin for relief from pain and swelling I suggest you to go ahead with the x-ray of the affected part, and proceed accordingly.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor