Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Have swollen and itchy eyelid. What is the disease called?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1846 Questions
My left eyelid looks and feels swollen. It get itchy and stings throughout the day. The skin under my bottom lashline appears slightly raised. My right eye appears normal , but gets itchy, though to a lesser degree. This has been going on for a few months. On occasion I wake up with gunk on my eyelashes ,though it more often happens on the right side. My eyelids were also somewhat greasy, and would get very watery, but this stopped about a month ago. My eye problems have been going on for a few months now. What is going on?
Posted Fri, 10 May 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 4 hours later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I think you are having allergic conjunctivitis.

In allergic conjunctivitis there will be increased itching, discharge and some time redness. Some times it is associated with running nose. It may be some times associated with other allergies like bronchial asthma or skin allergy.

There could be various causes for this allergy. It may be pollen, pollution, perfumes, costumes etc. Avoidance of the allergen if one is identified is the best treatment. But most of the cases the allergen is difficult to identify.

Antihistaminics, Steroid eye drops and mast cell stabiliser eye drops prescribed by your doctor after physical examination will be useful.

Cold compresses may be useful some times.

Hope this helps.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor