Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Have swelling on wrist. Suspected for ganglion or mass accumulated. Surgery needed?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
I have a swelling/Lump in my right arm wrist Doctors suggests it might be ganglion or Mass acumulated and I need to undergo a outdoor surgery.
They want to admit me for a day ie morning time and discharge me by evening.
Could you please guide me with your second opinion

P.S.: The cost suggested by them for the same is 0000 rupees.
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Ganglion is quite common lump on the wrist. Quite characteristic for ganglion is that it appears above the area where the joint is. It is because ganglion is caused by joint substance accumulation under the skin. This happens because of unnatural connection between the joint and the soft tissues (some kind of hernia).
Ganglion should be soft in touch (filled with jelly substance), sometimes can be painful.
Other possible reason of this lump can be sebaceous cyst or lipoma. Both lesions are benign and does not cause any danger to your life or cancer risk.
If your doctors are not sure what exactly it is, you may ask for an ultrasound of this area, what should give some answers.

There are few methods of ganglion treatment: needle puncture and evacuation of jelly substance, steroids injection or surgical removal. From this 3 methods, surgical removal has the best long term effects and gives less recurrences than other 2 methods.

The procedure is quite simple. A small incision is made in the area where the lump is present and it is removed. All is done with local anesthesia so no pain should be present. With this anesthesia, there is no need to stay at the hospital for longer than a day.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor