Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Have swelling on neck and pain in throat after unprotected oral sex. How to overcome this?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
it's been17 days since I gave a guy unprotected oral sex, my neck is still swollen and I have a liitle pain in my throat I notice it when drinking or eating and my top lip is still swollen in the inner lip there little Tiny bumps but they dont hurt at all but I think that why my lip has not gone down a whole lot.
Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 9 hours later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
Unprotected oral sex exposes you to various sexually transmitted illnesses.
The throat pain that you have developed along with the swelling on the lips can be due to two reasons:
1) Infections.
2) Allergy.
There are lot many viruses and bacteria (gonorrhoea) which can cause sore throat after doing oral sex. Similarly they can cause inflamation of lips and it generally takes 2-3 weeks to heal. If it has not been better since last 17 days then probably you need to get an throat swab taken by a microbiologist who would like to culture your throat organisms. You can decide on the medication depending upon the culture reports. Until the you can start with warm water salted gargles with a few drops of betadine in it.

The other possibility is that it could be an allergy. Many times men apply balms and lubricants and other chemicals over their penis. When you come in contact with them it causes allergic swelling. Generally it doesnt last for this long. However you can still give a try to cetrizene which should reduce the swelling in either case.

Do visit an ENT specialist who would like to do a local examination of your throat and order the tests for you.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor