Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Have swelling in perineum. Having reddish discharge near anus. Diagnosis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1649 Questions
i have a swelling in my perineum and am having a redish discharge near my anus but not coming out of my visible blood in my stool.if i press the swollen area,i can cause the discharge to occur.diagnosis?
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Abscess/local infection/Fistula.Need evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using XXXXXXX
I went through the query and understood your concern.

Swelling and discharge near the anus may be due to the following cause
1. Any abscess in the perineum due to hair follicle or sweat gland infection. This is the common cause for swelling near perineum. If this is the case you may suffer from severe pain in perineum region and may associate with fever with chills and rigors. Needs to drain pus completely and requires antibiotic.

2. Fistula/Sinus: This may occur due to any pathology in rectum and will usually have a history of constipation/anal fissure or any other symptoms in anorectal region. Needs examination for diagnosis and further management.

There are many other reasons for swelling near perineum but the above mentioned are the common causes I see among my patients.
For now you need to keep the area clean and dry. Clean with betadine lotion to prevent any infection and don't squeeze it. Do sitz bath and consult your doctor once to diagnose the problem as the management differs from each disease.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.
If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Wish you a very happy life and good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor