Have swelling in breast, chest, arm pits with lymph nodes. What treatment should be done?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: Swollen left breast, chest, arm pits, and lymph nodes. Prickly feeling in left breast and two lumps. Ultrasound was normal.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 51 minutes later
The swelling in the left breast with palpable lumps and lymph nodes can be due to an infection or a malignancy. Since the breast ultrasound scan is normal, you can go for a FNAC- Fine needle aspiration cytology of the axillary lymph node to know the nature of swelling you are having.
In case it is an inflammatory swelling then hot fomentation and mild good health.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
Radiologist said there is no need for a needle aspiration.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If the radiologist does not feel that it is worth an aspiration then the lymph nodes must be freely mobile and less than 2 cm in diameter. In that case it is likely to be an inflammatory swelling. This is likely to reduce spontaneously in 2-3 weeks with proper treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.