Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Have swelling below adam's apple. Should I consult a doctor?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
I have swelling directly below my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX it extends vertically about 6 inches long. It doesn't hurt to touch, but is visibly swollen. I haven't had any trauma to that area. I am a smoker, don't know if this matters. I just noticed it today. Should I go to a doctor or see if it goes away?
Posted Tue, 1 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The condition you are describing can be lymph node,bursitis, thyroid swelling, sebaceous cyst etc.
Also I would like to know-
Is there any pain/itching/ color change over the area?
Does the swelling move with swallowing?
Does it move from side to side?is overlying skin attached or is it movable?
Any other health issues or swellings?
Can u upload photos of the affected area?
Answer the questions and upload the photographs to help you better.
Awaiting your response.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have swelling below adam's apple. Should I consult a doctor? 8 hours later

Thank you for your response. There is no pain, itching or color change. The area does not move when swallowing and the overlying skin is attached and doesn't move. It's just swollen, not like a cyst or moveable nodule. It's about 3inches(not 6inches as I originally said) long and 1/4 inch wide. A picture wouldnt really show anything, the swelling isn't that apparant. It's more obvious when you run you fingers over it, from the XXXXXXX XXXXXXX down.
I looked up thyroid swelling and I think that's what it is. I looked at the symptoms of hypothroidism and I have 7 of 10. Rapid weight gain, hard to lose weight, trouble swallowing, depression, unexplained tiredness, night sweats, breast milk(eventhough I stopped breast feeding 5yrs ago).
What do you think? I had my thyroid tested a few years ago and it was normal, but I read that, this can happen even when you have a problem. Should I make an appt w/my GP?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 13 hours later
Thanks for the details.
As you have noticed that swelling moves with swallowing it is more likely to be a thyroid swelling.Swelling with other thyroid related symptoms of weight gain and depression suggest a thyroid problem.
It wil be good to get examined by your GP.
A thyroid function test with T3,T4;TSH ,TPO parameters will be required.A thyroid scan can be done if required.
Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor