Have swelling and soreness on the labia majora area. No discharge, itching. What could this be?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I have swelling/redness and soreness on the labia majora area. No discharge. No itching. What could this be? It burns and its sore.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

According to your description there is possibility of contact dermatitis.
As you are getting the symptoms repeatedly during periods, these symptoms could be because of allergy to the material in the sanitary pads or tampon.
Can also be due to keeping the sanitary pads or tampon for longer periods.
So now you consult gynecologist and get examined to confirm this possibility.
And with her advice you can take symptomatic treatment to relieve the symptoms.
In future try to change the brand of sanitary pads and change the pad or tampon in every 6 to 8 hours to avoid these problems.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.