Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

150 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have swelling and redness at top of foot. Took ibuprofen but no help. What could i be?

Answered by
Dr. Indu Kumar


Practicing since :2004

Answered : 6728 Questions

Posted on Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I woke up this morning to the top of one foot feeling like it was on fire. At the time there was redness, but wasn't hot to touch. 3 hours later I realized my shoe was feeling tight, and found my foot swollen to twice its normal height (top of foot only area affected), very red, the skin was tight and extremely hot to touch. The swelling and redness does not extend to the ankle or above- just the top of foot. After taking ibuprofen and elevating the foot while at my desk, none of the symptoms have decreased, and it is now (10.5 hours after waking up) extremely painful to walk. I've thoroughly inspected the affected area and can't see a puncture or bite mark indicating a spider or bug bite. I'm 31, female, am a smoker, not on birth control, have an active lifestyle, don't have to sit for long periods at work, and I was on a long flight just under 2 weeks ago. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DVT and cellulitis should be excluded. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX From history it seems that you are either suffering from DVT(Deep vein thrombosis) or Cellulitis as history is very short. You didn't mentioned about history of fever. Cellulitis may be associated with fever if infection is spread.Bite mark by insects is not always detected as these are generally very small.So,Cellulitis should be excluded and if it is suspected then proper course of antibiotics should be given along with anti inflammatory drugs. DVT should also be ruled out.Smoking is a risk factor in your case.It can be confirmed by Venous Doppler of leg. You need proper clinical examination and investigations. Other investigations include routine hemogram,RBS. Further investigations can be done if needed. So,you should consult surgeon. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Deep vein thrombosis

doctor1 MD

Sir ,My wife was dependant on Tab acitrom from the last 9yrs. some of the vascular surgeon adviced her if u want u can stop Tab. Acitrom as u r not a DVT pt. She stopped the medicine. After 15 days cellulitis appear in her affected leg. Can stopping medicine be the cause of cellulitis.

doctor1 MD

Hello! I had a hysteroscopy and a polypectomy along with a Mirena Coil fitted under a general anaesthetic on Monday. I was on my period at the time. I had no problems and was discharged to go home that evening. Three questions: 1/ I have some throbbing pain in my thigh, it s not red, hot or swollen. Just intermittent throbbing. I don t believe it s DVT, but could it be related to my procedure? 2/ I am having lots of cramps even though I have more spotting than actual bleeding and its now four days on. I know it can take between 3 - 6 months for the coil to settle down; does this include pain? 3/ My polypectomy wasn t planned and I wasn t advised how long to wait before having intercouse. What is a safe period of time to wait? Many Thanks Vicky

doctor1 MD

Hi there My Mother is suffering from sensations of freezing liquid in her stomach and also sometimes in her shoulders, back and hands. She has also lost her appetite and has been having a tingling sensation in her left shoulder from time to time. The symptoms make her feel frightened and hopeless. She did recently have suspected DVT as she lost the ability to walk very suddenly recently, but after a cocktail of painkillers and also an injection in the stomach in case there was a blood clot, she was then able to walk again, although she is due for a hip operation in the other leg, so she can walk as best she can. The codeine part of the painkillers caused severe constipation a couple of weeks ago and she had to be treated for that, but now she is suffering these awful freezing sensations. I took her to the doctor and they gave her an ECG which proved fine. Any advice would be a relief as I am worried about her; it has made her very very down.

doctor1 MD

been in hospitail foe the past five days with really bad stomach pains they said i hada really bad water infection and my coil was infected so they removed it im back home now and when i got to the toilet foe a wee im gettin blood clots is this normal and i havent had any proper bowl movement for 5 days now and just before passining wind i get pains and have tp push my wind out

doctor1 MD

Hi, I’m 59 and was taking Estradiol and spironolactone for about 8 months. 5 weeks ago I was diagnosed with a clot in my lower leg. The doctors advised me to stop taking the HT. Now I feel so depressed that I’m reverting to male, weight, hair...

doctor1 MD

On December 2nd, I fell on concrete on my right side. No broken bones but I did spain my right knee. I also injured my right hand. Xrays were done but no breaks. My shin bone is my now very painful and red and my right foot is very blue. There is...

doctor1 MD

I am a 64 year old male, work out consistentIy, am 6 feet tall and weigh 180 pounds. I was recently diagnosed with Deep Vein Thrombosis . My doctor gave me Xarelto. Are there foods I should avoid? My leg and ankle are still slightly swollen and it...