Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Have swelling and pain on ankle. History of achilles tear. Looking for medical cure

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
My husband has ankle swelling and pain with no known injury. Pain is high --he compared to his Achilles pain. In the past he has Achilles tear on the same foot. Recently had a flight and the pain and swelling are worse and cannot walk or drive now? He is traveling and does not know what type of care to seek. We have no medical insurance?
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I understand that your husband is travelling and doesn't have a medical insurance. Such type of pains will surely cause a lot of discomfort.
He had an Achilles tear on the same foot and once there is an Achilles tear, it predisposes the person for a similar tear in the future as well. The other possibility is a trauma. I know that you have stated that there was no trauma, but trauma can be trivial sometimes without the knowledge.
Now what to do:
Pain and swelling suggest inflammation and we need to get the inflammation down. Firstly try to give the foot as much rest as possible. Try to elevate it above the ground, by placing some pillows below his ankle while on bed.
He should get some cold fomentation by applying ice packs.
NSAIDS like paracetamol and ibuprofen are available OTC and these medications will reduce the inflammation and pain as well.
These are certain remedies that can be done without visiting the doctor.
The moment it is possible , do visit a doctor who can do an ultrasound and an X-ray of your ankle.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor