Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online

Have swelling and pain in finger with water around the finger nail. Suggest medication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2366 Questions
Hello Doctor,

My wife name is XXXXXXX Her right hand middle finger is having swelling with water around the finger nail part about an inch and also having pain since last one day.

Please suggest any medicines to cure that problem.

Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 49 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Dear sir ,

Looking into your history I interpret that your wife is having pain and swelling of finger but you haven't mentioned that was it preceded by some injury or she had fever. Her age is 27 so there is less likely possibility of her having Arthritis.

Swelling in digits due to infection can be XXXXXXX and painful because it is a closed compartment and abscess formation can be there.

You need to see a physician for this and with his advice you can take acourse of broad spectrum antibiotic like amoxicilln and a pain killer like paracetamol for pain relief .

Kindly seek medical advise to determine the cause and start the treatment because examination of finger is necessary to prescribe the medicines accordingly.

Hope it answers your query .

Take care.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have swelling and pain in finger with water around the finger nail. Suggest medication? 1 hour later
Thank you Doctor.

My wife did not have any fever or any injury before recently.

We have already consulted an Indian Health Organisation Doctor through phone.
And he prescribed diclofenac sodium, serratiopeptidase combination tablets twice a day for 5 days and other antibiotic having Ampicillin & Dicloxacillin combination tablets twice a day for 3 days.

He also suggested to consult a MD General Surgeon, if the swelling and pain is not reduced after 2 days.

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Whatever your doctor has prescribed is appropriate treatment. You should start taking it with no delay and he is also right in saying that if it doesn't subside and pain is not reduced you need to consult a surgeon to assess whether any drainage is necessary for the abscess because sometimes when swelling and pain to not reduce we need to drain the focus causing the infection.

Don't worry, go ahead with the treatment. It is the best in present condition.

Take care,

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor