Have sweaty palm, racing heart, feeling dizzy and shaky. What could be causing this?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: I am a 36 year old female of average weight, for the last year I have been having trouble with my left eye, it feels as though I cannot control it however when I look in a mirror it doesnt appear to be rolling around or doing anything strange. When I have one of these episodes my palms get sweaty, my heart races, i am extemely dizzy and I feel very shaky. This is starting to ruin my life as I dont feel like I can leave my house because I fear that I will have one of these "episodes". Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 26 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, your symptoms suggests possibility of epilepsy. If you do not have any history of epilepsy, then it is secondary.

So, you should be investigated for some diseases which can give rise to these type of symptoms. Like any abnormality in the central nervous system, any abnormality in carbohydrate metabolism, cardiovascular system. It may also be seen in case of sudden withdrawal of alcohol or a particular drug.

For this reason, you need to be clinically examined first. Secondly, do a fasting and postprandial blood sugar test. Do a CT scan of brain to rule out any abnormality. Do an ECG to rule out any cardiovascular abnormality.

For now, do not swim or drive a car.

Lastly, you should visit a neurologist first for clinical examination and for ordering required investigations and for management accordingly.

Hope this information is suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.