Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Have sweaty armpit and bad smell coming from vagina. What is the disease called?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12749 Questions
Hi i have a problem in that my crotch often smells like very bad sweaty armpitt smell even immediately washing
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

The persistent foul smell from the vagina is commonly associated with a vaginal infection- mostly bacterial with a superadded fungal infection.

Such infections in female genital tract are notorious for recurrence. Once you contact this infection, it should be treated vigorously with oral antibiotics and antifungal agents.

Fluconazole and azithromycin are considered as considerably effective drugs. You can consult your gynaecologist for selecting the best drug for you after proper examination and a vaginal swab culture.

The persistent bad odor in your case is most likely due to the incomplete treatment. The local anti fungal creams are not sufficient for full cure.

You can take some general measures to decrease the smell-
1. Avoid wearing tight underwear or other tight acrylic garments every day. Use loose fitting cotton underwear and panties. Avoid wearing jeans, legging and panty hose every day.
2. Stay away from deodorant sanitary pads and tampons.
3. Do not remain in wet clothes for a long time.
4. You can insert tampons dipped in yogurt into your vagina twice a day. Be sure not to keep them inside for more than two hours.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor