Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Have sudden onset chills, nauseous but no vomiting, feels achy but no arthritis and fever. Had dengue. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2586 Questions
81 yr old healthy husband sudden onset chills for abt 1 1/2 hrs, nauseous but no vomiting, feels achy but not in joints and has no arthritis, now after 5 hrs fever 102, not clammy but dry. Feels great fatigue, doesn't want to eat or drink now. Had 16 oz. coconut water in 6 hrs, Has had dengue in past but no rash or headache.
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Prasad 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infection is likely...

Detailed Answer:

Well, the symptoms clearly suggest that he has infection; however as the symptoms are only few hours old, it would be extremely hard for any doctor to confirm the type of infection.

At this point of time, my suggestion to you are:
1. Monitor his temperature frequently. I would like to keep his body temperature under 100 deg F
2. Use tylenol to bring the temperature down. You can start with 500mg dose now and if needed repeat it every 4-6 hours.
3. Encourage him to drink plenty of water. If nausea is preventing him to drink fluids, you can give him over the counter available antiemetic drug.
4. Keep him covered with a soft blanket and encourage him to rest well.

Most people recover from fever in a couple of day with the aforementioned treatment. If he continues to show spikes of fever even after 3 days, fix an appointment with your doctor. He/she can perform basic blood test and plan next steps of treatment accordingly.

Hope this helps. You can write back for further assistance.

I wish him a speedy recovery... Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor