Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Have stye on eye. Its painful and irritating. Cause and treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 5709 Questions
I have a stye on my eye. Its painful & irritating. How do people get these & what should I do to relieve the pain & lessen swelling?
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hot compress and analgesic drugs.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Stye is inflammatory swellling involving the glands situated on the margin of the eye lid.It is also called as External hordeolum and it presents as painful swelling involving the eye lid margin pointing towards the skin side and it involves the eye lash.

Coming to your first question, How do people get these?
Habitual rubbing of eyes, refractive errors, exposure to dusty weather, decreased immunity as in uncontrolled Diabetes mellitus… are predisposing factors.
In case of repeated occurrence of stye, you need to undergo evaluation to rule out predisposing factors like uncorrected refractive errors, uncontrolled diabetes mellitus, immunodeficiency….

Coming to your second question, what should I do to relieve the pain & lessen swelling?
The treatment of the condition is by
Oral antibiotic drugs and antibiotic eye drops or eye ointments.
Oral analgesic and antiinflammatory drugs can relieve the pain and swelling.
Hot compress applied locally over the swollen area of the skin of the eyelid offers soothening effect.

Hope I have answered your query.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor