Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Have stretch marks all over the body. How can I get rid of them?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
Hello Doctor, I hope you are doing great.

My question to you is any strech XXXXXXX on our body, will it be there forever? if no, what could be the treatment. I workout, go to GYM 6 days a week, I had an Indian Whey suplement just for a week, and since then I started getting strech marks on my arms. my height is 6 and I am fit, howver, I wasnt to get rid of this strech marks all over my body. please advice.

Thank you in advance!
Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Beauty & Cosmetics
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Stretch marks appear in the dermis of the skin. The dermis is mostly composed of collagen and collagen together with elastin provides the skin with strength and elasticity. Stretching the skin like in pregnancy or losing or gaining weight, over a short period, can cause damage to the collagen and elastin levels and thus compromise the supportive material of the dermis. When this occurs and the stretchy fibres in the dermis tear, it causes stretch marks.

Once stretch marks pass the initial stage, when they are red or purple, to the later stages, where they become white or silver, they are more difficult to treat.

Creams containing alpha hydroxyl acids and retin-A are said to be useful in decreasing the stretch marks but they should be used under medical guidance. Fractional laser resurfacing and microdermabrasion are quite effective and you can get them done from a dermatologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor