Have strep throat. Took antibiotic. Started pain all over body. What should I do?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: please help me went to the doctors yesterday he said I had strep throat and my throat doesn't hurt just is swollen and feels thick ..and he didnt even do a culture on me ..he gave me antibiotics which when I took them.made my whole body cramp up all night couldn't sleep my body temp was all over the place and now I feel I have gotten worse ...what do I do help me please
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for the query

After going through your description I do feel you are suffering from acute pharyngitis. Acute pharyngitis is the sudden onset of inflammation of the throat, characterized by throat pain, fever, enlargement of the lymph node in the neck, etc.

The cramps could be due to drug reaction. Report this to your doctor and request him to change the antibiotic for you.

Meanwhile you can try the following:
1. Drink plenty of warm water – this helps in improving the blood circulation, keeping the mucosa moist and relief from pain
2. Try taking antibiotic such as a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime
3. Try taking anti-inflammatory medicines such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for the relief of pain.
4. Do gargles with povidone iodine solution for the speedy recovery.
5. Once you consult your doctor, request for a throat swab.
6. Also, avoid smoking/chilled food & beverages/alcohol/coffee till you recover

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 minutes later
he refused to.give me a culture when I asked because he.said he.could.see it and do I drink XXXXXXX warm water ..I feel a lot worse today then yesterday is it.because I had a reaction to the antibiotic so it didn't work.. and is what I have contagious
and why does it hurt in my lungs and it kinda is hard to breath
am.I contagious
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 29 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Your doctor should have done the throat swab culture before prescribing the antibiotics. Probably, your doctor would have presumed that he has already noticed the signs of acute infection and hence he does not need to confirm the same with culture. Also, it is not always mandatory that a swab has to be done before prescribing the antibiotics, but, it is better if done before prescribing the antibiotics.

Yes, lukewarm water will help in improving the blood circulation, thus helping in effective fighting against the offending organisms. Also, it keeps the throat moist and reduces the pain.

Yes, it can become contagious, but it is not very severe and XXXXXXX It is just an early feature of swelling in the throat induces cough and during cough excess carbon-di-oxide is expelled from the lungs, causing difficulty in breathing. Mechanism of cough is initiated by forceful squeezing action of the diaphragmatic and intercostal muscles, which creates lot of chest discomfort. Finally, the presence of inflammation of the mucosa of the throat can lead to breathing difficulty. All the above mentioned symptoms are features of acute pharyngitis.

Please follow my advice and you will be definitely alright.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon