Have strep throat. Took antibiotic. Started getting cramps in leg and mild fever. What to do?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I'm worried went to the doctor yesterday got antibiotics have strep throat the doctor said after taking the antibiotics at night got cramps in my legs in my arms up and down my whole body my temp. was hot cold.hot cold started throwing up and now I feel worse this morning what do I do please help do.I go.back to the doctor or er ..my throat wasn't sore it just was swollen and felt thick lol now have stuffy noes and cough ans just feel.like the antibiotics aren't working help what do I do
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 19 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for the query

After going through your description I do feel you are suffering from acute sinusitis and pharyngitis.

During nasal congestion, because of which there will be blockage of the sinus opening leading to stagnation of the secretions in the sinus and increased viscosity. Stagnation of the secretions gives rise to headache and nasal infection. When the infected secretions trickle down into the throat it can cause irritation of the throat, followed by cough and difficulty in swallowing.

When the infection is acute there will be associated fever, headache, cough, throat pain, difficulty in breathing, etc.

The cramps could be due to drug reaction. Report this to your doctor and request him to change the antibiotic for you.

Meanwhile you can try the following:
1. Drink plenty of warm water – this helps in improving the blood circulation, keeping the mucosa moist and relief from pain
2. Try taking antibiotic such as a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime. Presuming these are not the ones prescribed to you, as there is no mention of the antibiotics taken.
3. Try taking anti-inflammatory medicines such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for the relief of pain.
4. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day - this helps in removing the thick secretions from the sinuses and thus reduces the nasal block
5. Also, avoid smoking/chilled food & beverages/alcohol/coffee till you recover

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 minutes later
am I contagious
should I call into work today or am I fine to.go in cuz he never said if I was contagious or not and.I dont want to get others sick
Hi

Thanks for writing back

The initial phases of upper respiratory tract infections will be usually contagious, but it is not a very serious issue. Please follow my advice as discussed in the previous response and you will recover soon.

Above all, I would suggest you to remain indoors and take rest till you recover completely. Wish you good health and good luck.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
thank u soo much for helping me Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX N. I'm so greatful and I will follow ur advice.thanks again
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 13 minutes later
Hi

Welcome back

I wish you good health. All the best.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon