Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Have stone in upper ureter. Discomfort while passing urine and pain in penis. Are they related?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
Hello Doctor,

I had severe pain in my lower abdomen (LHS) couple of months back and I had to rush to the hospital and they found out a 4mm stone in my upper Ureter by ulttasound.

And I started drinking around 3 litres of water from then and was feeling fine so far.

But from last couple of weeks I am feeling discomfort while passing Urine (slight pain at the tip). From the last 2-3 days it has got increased and having frequent urge to urinate but it doesn't pass with full flow and sometimes it comes in few drops only with pain at the end.

Is this urinary problem because of this stone? Will it be possible for you to provide some medication or suggest some tests.
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Once a stone has been found, depending on the size, treatment is advised. A stone that has reached the size of 3 mm or larger, can cause obstruction of the ureter. Another possibility is recurrent due to stones.

You could be experiencing any one of these two possibilities (infection or impacted stone).

An impacted stone causing obstruction requires immediate management, whereas a UTI can be treated with medication (antibiotics like ciprofloxacin or norfloxacin, pain management, potassium based solutions). Treatment options for an impacted stone are: electroshock wave lithotripsy (ESWL), ureteroscopy and lithotripsy, etc.

Please visit your doctor at the earliest for a diagnosis and management accordingly. A urine analysis and urine culture to rule out a UTI and an ultrasound examination for an impacted stone.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further information or clarifications. Wishing you a speedy recovery and great health thereafter.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor