Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Have staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome. Should I take tetralysal, cravit or clarithromycin?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
Hi, can I ask which of the following antibiotics is/are good to cure staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome? Many thanks indeed.Sorry, I have forgotten to mention the names of the antibiotics, which are:
tetralysal 300mg or/and
cravit 250mg or/and
clarithromycin 250mg
or a combination of 3 together
Regards, XXXXXX
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later

If it is localized staphylococcal scaled skin syndrome (SSSS), also called impetigo you can try simple oral penicillins.

Nevertheless any staph infection should first be treated by penicillin group of antibiotics unless allergic to. E.g: Naficillin, Flucloxacillin by mouth. In your options I do not see any penicillin group. However if the person is allergic to penicillin you can choose macrolide group for e.g clarithromycin is the best fit. The dose of 250mg is not the best fit.

There is no need for combination therapy unless the person developed resistance to the other groups or the culture showed no sensitive antibiotic.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor