Have stage 3 breast cancer. Will it be cured by chemotherapy or surgery?
Thanks for the query.
There is no question of chemotherapy not working.
The doctor must have felt that enough chemo has been given and it is the right time to go for surgery.
In fact the doctor must have opted for a breast conservation surgery which is a combination of lumpectomy ( removal of cancer and a portion of surrounding tissue ) and radiation therapy.
Clinical studies have shown that breast-conserving therapy is associated with a lower risk of local cancer recurrence compared to lumpectomy alone and it gives long term survival.
Some patients who are not initially candidates for breast-conserving therapy may become eligible for breast-conserving therapy after undergoing chemotherapy. Systemic treatment before surgery is called neoadjuvant therapy. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy is a recommended treatment for some women with stage 3 breast cancer.
The doctor is absolutely right and there is nothing to worry. Please have faith in your doctor and his decision.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Early stage breast cancer symptoms
- When is it too late to start chemo with fourth stage breast cancer
- What to expect end stage breast cancer
- Late-stage breast cancer appearance
- Is 3rd stage breast cancer curable
- 4th stage breast cancer symptoms
- Hip replacement with late stage breast cancer
- Symptons of 4th stage breast cancer
- Early stage breast cancer treatment
- Herneu2 early stage breast cancer
- Sudden weight gain, lower back pain. Need help
- Pressure inside ear and pain. Have herniated disk. MRI and ultrasound...
- Elevated levels of ALT and protein in urine. Should I be concerned about...
- Infant has large belly button. Is there a hernia belt appropriate for...
- Do I have type 1 or type 2 diabetes? Done C-peptide test. Want to know...
- Dark circles below eyes. Have seven hours sleep. What measures can be...
- Taking immunosuppressants for Crohn's disease. Runny nose, congestion,...
- What can get rid of bad nose smell?
- Child has fever, dizziness, red cheeks, bug bite on cheek, no head or...
- Sneezing during variance in weather in Pune. Can you please help?