Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Have spots on inner thigh and waist. Tested negative for STD. Do I have mastocytosis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 6247 Questions
I discovered small spots, maybe a quarter inch in size all over my inner thigh and waist. They do not hurt or itch. They are flat to the skin. They are purplish, kind of like a bruise. But, I have not had any trauma to any of the area at all. I can say, I am suspected of having Mastocytosis and do have Dermatographia. however, this looks nothing like my normal rashes. I have been recently test for STDs, and am negative. I have also been tested for Hepititis as I have slightly elevated ALT results. That was negative. Do you have thoughts as to what they could be?
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 20 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.
You mentioned, you have been suspected of mastocytosis.
Actually mastocytosis can present in various forms ranging from raised lesions which you usually have, to flat bruise like lesions.
Usually there is itching but not always.
Hence, in my opinion even this bruise like lesion is due to mastocytosis.

Kindly upload a few photographs of the lesion so I can give a closer diagnosis. There is a feature to upload the images by yourself on the right side of this query page. You may want to utilize it.

Intestinal polyps can be associated with pigmentation of skin but bruise like lesions are unlikely.
Let me know if you have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have spots on inner thigh and waist. Tested negative for STD. Do I have mastocytosis? 47 minutes later
I uploaded some pictures for you. Also, can you suggest what type of Dr to see for the Mastocytosis? I keep being told anything from a Dermatologist, to an Allergist, to Oncologist, and Hematologist. I am at a loss, because no one seems to know where to send me.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Thanks for the photographs.
According to me these lesions are of mastocytosis only.
The definitive diagnosis can be done by biopsy.
Please XXXXXXX a dermatologist and request him to do a biopsy. This will give a clear picture and hence a correct line of treatment can be given to you.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor