Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Have spinal arthritis. Experiencing sharp abdominal pain after sex. Underlying cause?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 364 Questions
I am a 47 yo female with some spinal arthritis that I have had for about a decade. No other health issue. I am 5'5" and weigh 120 pounds. I had sex for the first time in three years and about an hour after, I bent over at the waist and experience the sharpest upper abdominal pain ever. No nausea, sweating, or heart palpitations. I curled up in a ball and the pain subsided. A recent gyn check up was, as usual, normal. Periods normal. We did have quite a good time and I had an especially good time. It reminded me of a sharp all over abdominal pain I had after a new Power Pilates exercise, except that pain was duller and presented the following morning when I tried to straighten up. Could that have been muscular? Could it be mechanical or chemical (oxytocin?). My back is no more uncomfortable than usual. I elevated my HR again by running up and down the stairs just to make sure my heart was shortness of breath. But it did make my abdominal wall feel mildly sore. It is not tender to press on it.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 21 minutes later
The way you describe the pain, it seems that you pulled an abdominal muscle. The fact that it is associated with movement (by you bending over) is highly suggestive of a pulled abdominal wall muscle (most likely the "rectus abdominis" muscle). Plus the fact that you had physical activity which you were not used to makes it even more likely. Transient chemical & hormonal changes in your body are possible but should not cause pain.
I would suggest you to take an anti-inflammatory (an NSAID such as ibuprofen or naprosyn).
Hope that helped. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor