Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Have sore upper back injury. MRI showed mild subacromial bursitis, Had cortisone injection. Any ideas?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10447 Questions
Hi, I have a sore upper back injury on my lefthand side, i ach up my neck and just under my shoulder blade. I have had a x-ray on the shoulder and upper back area which came back clear. I have had an MRI on my left shoulder which showed mild subacromial bursitis and had a cortisone injection for that. My shoulder aches more than usual. My doctor said that it is all muscular and that physio therapy is the best remedy and that there is no need to MRI the upperback area because that would have shown on the Shoulder MRI
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
From the symptoms that you have described, it seems to be a bursitis of the shoulder joint with referred pain to the upper back. Shoulder MRI does not cover the area of spine adequately. In case the injury is near the spine then a separate MRI is recommended to know the extent of injury.
Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:

1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply cold compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.
A combination of pain killers and good muscle relaxant is needed for complete relief.
If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, you may need steroid injections or surgical arthroscopic technique (kept as last resort).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor