Have sore throat, temperature around forehead, ear and neck. What could be causing this?

Dr. Aparna Amritsagar

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi,
Persistent Low temperatures in the evening and night time. Intermittent symptoms. Temperatures usually around forehead/eyes, back ear and neck. Relives with advil. So whats causing this? Had sore throat 2 months back which was okay after zpak dosage. Doctor took blood test nothing came up.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 1 hour later
Thanks for writing your query to us.

Kindly document fever using a thermometer & maintain a chart with timings of fever. This will help us to know the pattern of fever.

Low-grade fever can be due to infections like tuberculosis, inflammation, autoimmune disease, due to medication. Fevers often accompany infections and are part of your body’s natural defense against them. Repeated episodes of sore throat, running nose can be a sign of low immunity of the body.

Since your blood test reports are normal that means low immunity can be a cause for low grade fever. Try to improve your immunity by making certain changes in your lifestyle.

1. Get enough sleep. We need to rest our body in a leisurely manner and avoid stress for at least six to eight hours daily.

2. You must drink plenty of water. By drinking six to eight glasses of water daily, this will help to flush out toxins from our bodies.

3. You must eat well. We should increase organic fresh fruits and vegetables and multi-grain meals in our daily diet and cut down on frozen, processed and fatty food. Besides that, we should reduce the intake of animal protein XXXXXXX food. Quit smoking and limit alcohol consumption.

4. You must practice good hygiene by washing your hands after visiting the toilets and before meals. When we wash our hands, we also get rid of germs that might infect us with illnesses.

5. You need to exercise to boost your immune system. Exercise is good for health. It helps to strengthen your bones and muscles, and reduces the risk of osteoporosis. Do any form of exercise that you enjoy.

In spite of following all this measure if you still have persistently raised body temperature can be a worrying and difficult problem and needs a proper investigation. Tuberculosis needs to be ruled out if your fever is associated with loss of appetite & weight loss.

I hope I have answered your query, In case you have any further question I will be happy to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 3 days later
Thanks. Checked temp for about couple days its between 99.7 to 100.1
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 19 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Kindly follow the advice, which I had mentioned.
Take paracetamol tablet, if the temperature is above 100.
Take rest. Do not exert.
Drink more water.

Follow this for 2 days. If there is no improvement in your symptoms then kindly get your complete blood count, ESR, X-ray chest PA view. Also kindly get your check up done from your treating doctor for any palpable lymph nodes.

Wish you good health.