Have sore throat, pain in neck and shoulder with black discoloration of tongue. Safe remedy?

Dr. Ravinder Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: For last one month i have black colouration on both edge of my tongue and sour throat and later pain in right side of neck and shoulder and cough resulting in very dense mucus from right side of the throat....i always feel sourness in my throat
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
Hello
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of the information provided it appears that you have acute infection of throat. It can also arise from the disease of nose, sinuses or chest.Black discoloration of tongue can be because of the variety of causes - common cause include patient on iron medication, patient is a smoker or recurrent gasto intestinal upset.
I picture of your tongue would further help me in deciding the cause. I would advise you for a ENT consultation and a biopsy from the edge of the tongue for the diagnosis. For sore throat you will require medications.

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma
Follow up: Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
This colour increases and decreases and bumps come and go.......

how can i send u the picture....
This is for your kind information that I also work with Tuberculosis patients in RNTCP and have fear of that also as my cough is not going and now pain in neck and lower right side of throat.
Hello
Thanks for the follow up query
I have seen the picture and noted that there is history of working with tuberculosis patients. I would suggest you to plan for a biopsy from the discolored area. I would also advise you for sputum for AFB for three consequetive days (early morning specimen) .

As you are at risk it will be the most appropriate approach.

Tuberculosis is common in all forms in south east asia and this may be an unusual presentation. Keeping in mind your proximity to tuberculosis patients this is the right thing to do.

The purpose of this approach is to rule out tuberculosis by early intervention. I am not suggesting the diagnosis of tuberculosis in present situation. I hope you got my point.

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you require more information

with regards
Ravinder Sharma
Does this tongue problem seems to you of the tongue cancer as I have a long history of acidity and as the acidity increase the condition of my tongue goes worst and as i control my eating pattern with boiled or simple food my geographical tongue gives me relief with less dark sectors...

I want to know as the acidity has damaged my tongue has it damaged my throat also.
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 10 hours later
Thanks for your follow up query
On gross appearance it do not appear to be tongue cancer. But we can not rely much on gross appearance. It will be appropriate to plan biopsy as it has 100% positivity.

Geographic tongue is a self limited entity as it require no treatment and do not cause problem in long run and there is no co relation between geographic tongue and reflux problem. But we can not assume it as geographic tongue and sit quietly. In your case it needs to be attended. The areas are blackish grey in colour and raised from surface.

For the acidity problem I would advise you for flexible oesophago gastro duodenoscopy to evaluate the cause of acidity. Stay away from fried and spicy food and say no to smoking and alcohol (if you are a smoker and taking alcohol). Once a cause is found it can be treated. You will require a gastromedicine consultation for this.

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you require more informaton about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma