Have sore throat and sore scalp. What is the cause and cure?

Dr. Mohammed Kappan

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: Last afternoon Monday all start with a little throat sore , that night I felt an right side scalp pain , today I have scalp sores and neck right side lymphatic ganglius inflammation.
I do not if this could be related tothis issue, but the last 4 days before that monday I was on bed with my laptop with a position affecting my neck. (Tension Neck)could be?
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 14 hours later

The swollen lymph node on your neck can be related to sore throat or the sores on your scalp. It shows that there is an infection in the area draining into the particular lymph node. How is your sore throat now? If the sore throat is persisting and is associated with fever, you may require antibiotics to bring down the infection. Pain killers like Ibuprofen tablets should relieve you of the pain.

The sores on the scalp could be folliculitis, dermatitis or herpes zoster (Shingles). You should get it examined by a dermatologist for a proper evaluation, diagnosis and treatment.

Stress on the neck cannot be causing swollen lymph nodes.

Meanwhile, you could do the following to reduce the severity of your symptoms.
1.     Gargle with warm water.
2.     Avoid drinking cold water. Avoid having refrigerated food items.
3.     If you see any blisters on the scalp, do not pop it.
4.     If the symptoms increase, make sure you visit your family physician.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Kappan 11 hours later
Thanks a lot for your response, searching the web I found out exactly as you said about the infection, waiting for your answer, I began yesterday afternoon with antibiotic 500Mg, each 5 hours, reducing ganglios inflammation. About the scalps , I bought DERMATEST, (Eczema medicated lotion), relieving itches and pain on it. That worked very well.
Please keep on contact , just in case I need consult or report something more respect of this issue.
Forget something important, I'm getting a slight inflation front of the neck, right side. (I am talking about something similar to goiter, bocio). Is that related with linphatic ganglius too, or is the Tiroides?

Regard.
XXXXXXX.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 8 hours later

Thanks for the follow up. It feels good to know that you are doing better. But, do not take any antibiotic without your doctor asking to do so.

A swelling in front of the neck needs to be examined. It could be an enlargement or swelling of the thyroid glands. It should not be taken lightly. Please do consult your family physician to get it properly examined. You might require hormonal studies and an ultrasonography of the swelling. A biopsy also may be done.