Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Have sore, itchy and stinging eyes, swollen eyelids. Face is blotchy. How long it takes to cure and any medication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 101 Questions
My eyes are very sore, and sting when I close my eyelids. They itch and water constantly, my eyelids are red and swollen. This started a week ago, coinciding with giving up alcohol after a 2 month period of heavy drinking. My face is also blotchy but not so itchy, I presume the condtion is linked to my alcohol withdrawal and would like to know of anything you can suggest to ease these symptons and what sort of time period you believe the condition should be easing. I feel well in all other respects, although I am sure I am fatigued due to poor sleep quality. Thankyou.
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 7 hours later

Thanks for the query.

You are right.These symptoms are due to alcohol withdrawal.You can do frequent washing of your eyes with cold water.You can apply artificial tears(Refresh tears) in your eyes.Drink lots of water.
Try to get atleast 8 hours of sleep.Your symptoms will go away in about two weeks provided to absolutely stay away from alcohol.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available to answer any furthur queries if you have any.

Best Regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor