Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Have sore cheek and tongue, getting excess saliva and thick mucous. Should I consult a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 662 Questions
I have a small sore in the back of my cheek that caused me pain over the days has dulled. Shortly after the sore appeared I had flu like symptoms (head and body aches, sore throat), excess saliva and thick mucous. After rest and drinking fluids most symptoms have gone away, however I have also noticed a white bump on lingual frenulum and slightly sore tongue (down the center). I wasn't sure if it was due to the mouth rinse I was using for the mouth sore. Should I be alarmed? Should I go to a doctor?
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later

Thanks for the query,

Well after reading your complaints, it seems that you are suffering from viral infection involving your oral cavity & symptoms of fever.


Mouth rinse may cause irritation of oral mucosa, better you use non-irritating mouth wash like betadine gargles, thrice a day.

Take adequate rest, maintain hydration, and take vitamin & mineral supplementation - All for next 3-4 days. I am sure you will be all right.

If still the condition persists, then, you may consult an ENT surgeon, for an endoscopic examination.

Hope, this answer will help you. And I am available for future follow-ups.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor