Owl Image

Have sore cheek and tongue, getting excess saliva and thick mucous. Should I consult a doctor?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have a small sore in the back of my cheek that caused me pain over the days has dulled. Shortly after the sore appeared I had flu like symptoms (head and body aches, sore throat), excess saliva and thick mucous. After rest and drinking fluids most symptoms have gone away, however I have also noticed a white bump on lingual frenulum and slightly sore tongue (down the center). I wasn't sure if it was due to the mouth rinse I was using for the mouth sore. Should I be alarmed? Should I go to a doctor?
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later

Thanks for the query,

Well after reading your complaints, it seems that you are suffering from viral infection involving your oral cavity & symptoms of fever.

IT IS NOT AN ALARMING CONDITION, AND YOU SHOULD NOT TAKE TENSION.

Mouth rinse may cause irritation of oral mucosa, better you use non-irritating mouth wash like betadine gargles, thrice a day.

Take adequate rest, maintain hydration, and take vitamin & mineral supplementation - All for next 3-4 days. I am sure you will be all right.

If still the condition persists, then, you may consult an ENT surgeon, for an endoscopic examination.

Hope, this answer will help you. And I am available for future follow-ups.