Have sore anus and noticed blood in stool. What treatment should be done?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: White areas justover top of anus. Sore. Started when I used restroom. Spot of blood on toilet paper. None since. But a very sore area. Hurts mildly when bowel movement. Hurts some to sit too
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

The most probable reason of your symptoms is anal fissure. This condition is caused by rectal mucosa tearing due to hard stool or hard pushing on stool. It result with some kind of wound giving pain when passing stool. Some fresh blood can also appear. This condition is associated with constipations.
To get it treated you should:
- avoid constipations (increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water intake)
- do not push hard on stool
- have stiz baths with Quercus Cortex
- use prescription-free suppositories for hemorrhoids
- use Nitroglycerin gel and Xylocaine Gel

Such treated fissure should go away in a week or so.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 minutes later
So,it will heal by itself. That's good to know. Is there a point when I should see a physician?just anything I should watch for? Thank u
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
Hello!

Yes it should heal by itself, just follow advised steps. If this wont go away in a week or two, that`s the point you should visit your doctor. You should watch for blood in stool. As long as it is on the surface of it, its fine. However if you will notice any blood mixed with stool, you should also visit your doctor.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
It appears to have a " skin flap" or a whitish colored skin on it... It that normal for a fissure? Also, would it help to apply neosporin or anything on it? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 hours later
Hello!

Such skin flap is possible. You need to know that whole thing is inside. What you see outside is just a peace of it. Neosporin is not advisable. See what I have advised you before (Nitroglycerin Gel and Xylocaine Gel).

Hope this will help.
Regards.