Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Have sore and swollen eye. What is the cause and cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
sore snd swollen lower corner and under left eyeMy left eye, in the lower eye lid in right corner is very sore, below the eye is swollen. I have iced it with no results. I am on vacation and not near my Dr.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
It would have been very nice if you could have posted a picture of your eye along with the query.
From the description that you have given, it appears quite clearly that you are having an inflammatory lesion on the medial part of the left lower eyelid. Such lesions are popularly called as stye or an "eyelid bump".
Most common reasons:
1) Repeated touching of eyes by unclean hands
2) Visual disturbances
3) Having raised glucose
4) No evident reason....
If you have a habit of fidgeting you eyes repeatedly then you will transmit impurities to your eye leading to this kind of infection. Visual disturbances if uncorrected by glasses will also lead to rubbing of eyes and leading to infection.
Many times stye is the presenting symptom of diabetes and infection occurs more commonly in the presence of raised sugars. You should get your sugars tested.
Many times you don't have any evident reason.
What ever the reason be, the leasion has to be treated. It can be treated with antibiotic eyedrops like ofloxacin or ciprofloxacin along with chloramphenicol eye ointment at night. You should consult your nearby ophthalmologist who will examine your eyes properly and prescribe you the medications. Oral medications may have to be used if the infection is sever enough.
Hope I am able to solve your query.
I will be happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.
In case you are satisfied by the answer, you can close the query and rate the answer and write a review if possible.
In future if you want a direct and detailed discussion about your problem, you can contact me on the following link:
WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you good health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor