Have sore and red gums. Is this serious?

Dr. Geoffrey Ward

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Question: My gums are sore and dark red (deep burgandy)on the bottom where my gums met my lips. Is this a sign of something serious? The are not bleeding and not swollen. Just hurt when they rub against my lip.
Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 1 hour later
hello and thank you for your question.
how long have they been this color?
is there anything that induces pain?
do you have a picture of this?

Could you please answer these questions and provide a picture for a better answer?
I look forward to helping you.

Best wishes

Dr. ward

Follow up: Dr. Geoffrey Ward 19 hours later
It has been this color for 2 days. I don't have a picture and there is nothing that induces the pain, it's just consistently there. I occasionally also have pain in my jaw on the upper right side, that has been happening for a few days as well.
Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 8 hours later
Thank you for your response.
Most likely you are suffering from inflammation in the gums called gingivitis.
If this coloration has occurred over the last few days, I cannot think of anything that would be serious. Most likely you need to improve brushing and flossing. Brush twice a day with your toothbrush bristles angled 45 degrees towards you gum line, brush in gentle little circles making sure to massage the gums. Floss once a day with the floss hugging against the side of your tooth and rub up and down 4-6 times each side of the tooth. Use Listerine right before bed time as well. Also get checked up by your dentist for a good cleaning and annual examination.

Give your gums two weeks under this regimen to see if they change colors. If not then I recommend seeing your dentist for a thorough evaluation.

If you could take a picture and post it on here for me I would be able to better assist you as well to determine what it could be. Your description of what is going on and what I can view could be completely two different stories.

As for your pain on the upper right side of your jaw, is this near your ear or in another location?
Does anything increase the pain? heat? cold? percussion? pressure?

Looking forward to reading your answers.

Dr. Ward
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan