Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Have smoked marijuana. Scheduled for septoplasty and endoscopic sinus surgery. Will this have any effect on general anesthesia?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2349 Questions
so i am getting a septoplasty and endoscopic sinus surgery tomorrow. I smoked marijuana 1 day ago, but probably still have a significant amount THC in my system. I have not mentioned this to my doctor. They only asked if i smoked cigarettes and i told them no. Will this have any effect on general anesthesia? or any other complications?
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later


Thanks for the query

Smoking Marijuana for a day will not be having many adverse effects during general anesthesia, but if you have done so on a regular basis in the recent past, then you should inform your doctor.

A major concern in the anesthetic management of the substance abusing patient is the appearance of cardiac arrhythmia (change in the rhythm of heart beat). The mechanism for the induction of these arrhythmias is considered secondary to coronary artery vasospasm resulting in myocardial ischemia (reduced blood supply to muscles of the heart).

Apart from the above problem, the drugs used for induction of anesthesia can have adverse effects on the other major systems in the body such as liver, kidneys and lungs. Finally, during the recovery period, the dosage of analgesics has to be increased as the threshold of pain would have reduced because of substance abuse.

Hence, keeping all these possibilities in the mind, I would suggest you to inform your doctor about the substance abuse.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up query.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor