Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Have small soft lump on back. Could it be cancerous? Should I consult a dermatologist?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 182 Questions
I have had two small lumps on my back for years now, maybe more than 5, I' not quite sure when they first appeared. Neither are painful so I have not given them too much worry.
One is on the lower back, a little soft to the touch, and has a black spot in the center (but not an open pore).
The one that's causing me a little bit of worry now is the one on the upper back, slightly to the right of the spine. It looks like a big mosquito bite (about 1cm in diameter), is hard and immovable. It's begun to feel painful when I slouch or put a little pressure on the area, but not when I touch it directly.
I have had a GP look at it but she was not able to give me a clear diagnosis and has instead referred me to a neurologist.
However my appointment is a few days away and I would like to ask if this could possibly be a serious symptom, i.e. cancerous? And is a neurologist the right specialist for this or should I see a dermatologist instead?
Advice much appreciated.
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 2 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.
It is unlikely that the masses you have are malignant because cancerous masses typically don’t look inflamed ( except in some uncommon circumstances). Well ,I think both of them might be sebaceous cysts and the upper one might be an infected one that looks like a mosquito bite. But this is only one of the several possibilities.
You may need a needle test called FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) to clinch the diagnosis and throw some light on whether it is a cancer or not, but I don't think that it is malignant. also, if this is a sebaceous cyst, they rarely become malignant
The better doctor would be a general surgeon to give an opinion or manage it.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. Let me know if I can answer any more questions.
Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have small soft lump on back. Could it be cancerous? Should I consult a dermatologist? 16 hours later
Thanks for your reply, Dr. Dash.
To clarify, the upper one doesn't look inflamed... I meant the appeararance of it is raised and clearly has some mass inside. However it is not red and doesn't appear irritated. Does this have any bearing on your opinion above?
Also is there any explanation for the pain I feel when i slouch or put pressure on the area?
Thanks again,
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 8 hours later

Well, I think you feel pain because you constantly put pressure on it many times a day thinking something has gone wrong inside.

I think, a general surgeon who would examine the swellings can better opine about the nature of the swelling.

Moreover a FNAC if required will clear our doubts. So don't worry at present. Still from the history, I SUPPOSE THEY ARE NOT MALIGNANT.

I think I have clarified your doubts. Please keep me informed about the surgeon's diagnosis and management.

Good luck, TAKE CARE

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor