Have small lump on the side of neck. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi. I've had a small lump on the left side of my neck for about 2 months. It's about at the height of the Adam's XXXXXXX and moves up and down when I swallow. It's size has gone down to about BB size. I had a doctor palpate it, and he was not concerned, but told me to have an ultrasound if it was still around in 2 weeks (it was, I haven't). He thought it was an injury, and attache to a muscle. It's smooth, and hard, but occasionally I can get it to kindof "squish", almost like there's fluid in it. Should I be concerned?
It's actually slightly above the Adam's XXXXXXX on the left side of my trachea. I can't tell if it's on the trachea or on a muscle attached (I assume) to the trachea. It was originally about the size of a big pea, and has not been painful. It's consistently reduced in size over the past 2 months. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The small pea sized lump that you have noticed in front of your neck could be a small cyst attached to the muscle or a thyroid gland swelling. Since you can feel a swish in the area sometimes, a cystic swelling is more likely.
A direct examination and investigations like ultrasound scan are an integral part of the diagnosis.
Since there is a reduction in the size of the swelling, it seems to be due to a benign cause and is not worrisome unless it is infected.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 hours later
Thanks for your reply. If it was a cystic swelling, do you think it will go away eventually? Or can it increase and decrease in size? If I choose to have an ultrasound, but not for several months, is there anything I should look out for?
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
A cystic swelling is not likely to reduce on its own without surgical removal.
You can wait for few weeks before going for investigations but do watch out for a sudden increase in the size, pain redness or any discharge, difficulty in swallowing, etc in which case you need to consult your physician.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.