Owl Image

Have small bump on butt with blood coming from this. Reason?

Owl Image
Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh

Gastroenterologist

Question
I noticed a small bump on the inside of my butt cheek towards the top of my butt. about an inch from where it meets my back. This morning when i used the bathroom and wiped myself I noticed a bit of blood coming from this spot.
Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 10 minutes later
There are two possibilities
1) Small furuncle or folliculitis which has burst open and draining blood but this is usually mixed with pus and self limiting (unlikely recurrent)
2) Fistula in ano or pilonidal sinus both of which present with recurrent bleeding or pus discharge
As per your history, the first one is more likely
In either case, I dont think we need to worry at this stage if you do not have fever and if this problem does not occur repeatedly (apart from the episode where you mentioned that you wiped off a little blood).

Hope this answers your query.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
Wish you a speedy recovery.