Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Have small bump in front of ear and sinks when open mouth. Doesn't hurt but have headache. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 1561 Questions
Woke up with a small bump in front of right ear. Doesn't really hurt but I have headaches. Bump is hard. When I open mouth, it also kinda sinks in. What could it be?
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 6 days later

Thanks for using XXXXXXX

1. Since the Bump appeared over night, unilaterally and it moves in with opening mouth, it should be present in subcutaneous region or in skin. Hence, this may be due to sebaceous cyst or lymph node.

2. Male, 25 years: There is more activities of sebaceous gland during this age. It will be pain less nodule and moves with skin. If it does not resolve on its own, then it has to be removed.

3. Lymph node is also present in subcutaneous region, but it occurs along with infection (Viral / bacterial). Since painless, this may be bacterial. With antibacterial therapy, for the cause the lymphnode will reduce its size. If there is an infection, there will be raised temperature, pain and redness in the region(Ear or throat).

Headache may be associated with the infection. You can take mild analgesic like Paracetamol which will reduce headache and also act as anti inflammatory drug. Take plenty of fluids.

4. The correct diagnosis requires its examination. There may be swelling of local tissue like parotid gland also, where there may be no associated symptoms. So I suggest you to consult your doctor for its examination once and its management.

Hope I answered your question.

Consult your doctor for further examination and management. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries. I will be glad to answer that.
Wish you good health. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor