Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Have small bleeding spot in duodenum and occult blood in the motions. Any suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 961 Questions
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 14 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

Since you had a duodenal ulcer for the past 2 years and are still having a bleeding area in the duodenum, it has not healed well.

If you meant that you had it and then better for 2 years, it says that you have a rebleed. Hence there is presence of occult blood in the motions.
Are you already taking any medicines for the ulcer ?

Can you upload your reports here using the uploading service available on this site just below the text box? You can email the reports / scans to
with subject- (Attn: Dr. Prasad Akole)

You need to be treated with endoscopic therapy and then proton pump inhibitors (tablets) by a gastroenterologist.

Avoid any spicy, junky food and alcohol. avoid OTC pain killers of the NSAID class.
Please write more details to enable me to guide you better.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this answer.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have small bleeding spot in duodenum and occult blood in the motions. Any suggestion? 33 minutes later
I will take Pantaprazole previously, Now again my stools are black in colour
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 27 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Treatment with Pantoprazole for longer duration is needed for the ulcer to heal. Sometimes the ulcer may be severe enough needing a endoscopic repair. That is when the pantoprazole fails to prevent bleeding from the ulcers.

Do consult a gastroentrologist, who can plan on endoscopic repair.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor