Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Have slightly raised bump on penis. Should I be worried for STD?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I have some bumps on my penis that don't hurt are skin color and slightly raised. I have been worrying that it may be an std. I have no symptoms but just have these bumps. I thought maybe it was from shaving or possibly masterbation. I am sexually active and the woman I have slept with havent said anything. I am hoping I just worked myself up.
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

According to your history, small bumps appear on the penis most probably after shaving the genital area. It is due to hair folliculitis (small painless pimple around hair follicle of genital area/ penis). Therefore, you have nothing to worry.

Folliculitis is associated with skin irritation related to using soap/ chemical substance for shaving or condom. Masturbation does not cause this type of painless bump. You should maintain genital hygiene properly. It goes away automatically.

Here, I suggest to consult with dermatologist for complete clinical examination. You may need to undergo one blood test for STD profile and urine examination- routine and microscopy to rule out asymptomatic STDs or exclude other pathogens if any.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish you better health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor