Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Have slight throbbing pain in upper back and shoulder. Been on antibiotics for sinus infection. Have irregular heart beat. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4858 Questions
Maybe 2x/day, I have a very slight throbbing in my upper back, left shoulder. This started about 5 days ago. About 3x, there has been some kind of pain (more like a tightness ) in my left chest, close to the bottom of my my bra. It started out as a slight pain, when I turned over in bed about 5 days ago. However, I had a slight pain in bed this morning, when I was not moving.

It really feels like bronchitis (which I haven't had in some time because I ususally start on an antibiotic when I start to have a sinus infection). It does feel a little tight, but it is only on the left side and not the entire chest. Also, I have been on an antibiotic for almost 10 days for a sinus infections. (I have chronic sinus problems. I was diagnosed this year with a touch of asthma.) When the barometric pressure changes, my sinuses and asthma sometimes give me problems. (It is supposed to rain this weekend, and I sometimes have symptoms 2-3 days ahead of the barometric pressure change.)

I do have an irregular heartbeat that I developed last year. I did see a heart specialist on 2/6/13 and had no trouble passing the stress test. It was the heart doctor that diagnosed the asthma. (I went to the heart doctor because when I tried to give blood at my company, they would not let me give because they said I had an irregular heartbeat.) The heart doctor said it was minor and that my heart was in good shape. Nothing was prescribed for the irregular heartbeat. The heart doctor thought it was probably due to my taking a lot of Nasal Decongestant (pseudoephedrine HCI 30 mg), which I no longer take.

FYI: I only drink maybe 2 cups of coffee/week. However, I do drink 160 oz.of iced tea/week.

Thank you for your help! Have a nice day.
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Urinary tract infection,labtest,abdomen ultrasound

Detailed Answer:

According to your medical history, you have suffered of urinary tract infection 2 months ago and treated appropriately. It is possible the same infection could be back. Therefore, I would suggest to do a urine analysis and urine culture for further evaluation.

Next, abdominal ultrasound is necessary to exclude urinary tract stones (kidney or lower urinary channels).

In addition, you are 67 years old, overweight and do not exercise. It is common to have pain in joints or muscles due to these medical data.

Although having such years, you might start walking at least 30 minutes per day. That will help you lose weight and keep the pain away.

Furthermore, you are a babysitter, meaning you weigh children. I would advise to hold the children in your arms taking them gently and not rushing. That will avoid further muscle spasms. It is a good idea not to hold children weighing more than 15 kg.

Until the lab results are in, you can take some urinary tract salts to stabilize the pH of the urine (zinc citrate, cranberry) and minimize the pain with a over-the-counter pain killer.

When you'll get the lab and ultrasound results, you can pass them to me for further evaluation.

Hope it helped!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have slight throbbing pain in upper back and shoulder. Been on antibiotics for sinus infection. Have irregular heart beat. What to do? 3 hours later
The pain I had from the UTI is not the same pain I am experiencing now.

When I was in the ER for my back, an MRI was done, and at that time, I was told I did not have kidney stones. There is no abdominable pain. So, do YOU think I should still have an abdominal ultrasound, as that would require a visit to my primary care physician, so I could get a referral?

My pain is more like a soreness, and I am wondering now if it could be a pulled muscle.

I have not been lifting any babies for the past 2 months, as the children I sit for children, who are older. However, I have been lifting cases of water. I will stop this.

Exercise. Yes, I need to START NOW exercising and losing weight. I am watching my diet and I will start out walking 30 minutes a day! Thanks!

Thank you Dr. Sejdini.

Sincerely, XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound necessary to exclude urinary problems

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for sending in your medical history.

Now, everything might happen within 2 months. That is why I have asked to do an abdominal ultrasound and to see deep in your inner organs including kidneys, ovaries, uterus.

This is to be sure that the pain you are suffering is coming from uro-genital problems or it is related to muscle problems.

The lab tests are also necessary to be sure that those organs are not suffering.

Please keep in mind that although you have experienced some pain from results soon.

All the best!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor