Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Have sinking and sensitive gums. What could be the reason?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2059 Questions
I have been brushing teeth twice (morng- eveng) since last so many years , have no addictions , lead a healthy lifestyle in terms of food, exercise & sleep. My gums are not so strong , and the gums are sinking & also suffer pain at times while consuming extreme cold or hot stuff. what could be the reason & what is the solution?
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 46 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query in XXXXXXX Forum.

As you mentioned,your gums are sinking resulting in sensitivity to foods.

This is due to pathological migration of gingival sulcus resulting in gingival recession.

This condition is associated usually with-
Faulty toothbrushing techniques.
Mechanical wearing due to bruxism.
Periodontal infection due to loss of alveolar bone.
Periodontal pocket formation.
Vigorous use of mechanical abrasives.

The pain while taking hot/cold foods is due to the sensitivity associated with exposed root portion/dentinal tubules of teeth.
Scaling has to be done primarily to remove the debris by a dentist.
The exposed tooth portion is covered with tooth-coloured restorative materials.
Tissue grafting has to be done in cases of alveolar bone loss.
I would suggest you to brush your teeth using soft-bristled toothbrush in back-forth ,up-down motion.
Avoid vigorous toothbrushing.
Stop using hard mechanical abrasives like sticks etc,

Orthodontic appliances can be used to correct the bruxism habit,if you practise.

Please reduce intake of food stuffs which are too cold/too hot,until you get the treatment done.
Hope this clarifies.
Please feel free to ask any other questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor