Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Have shoulder, arm and elbow pain. Severe weakness, unable to stretch hand. What could this be?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Right shoulder, arm and elbow pain. Severe weekmess, umable to reach behind or up!!! What could this be? Have tried the round arm brace worn just below elbow and has on worsened, forearm outside is swollen and big knot on elbow!!
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Compression of nerve in cervical [neck area] spine Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. According to your symptoms it looks like there is compression of nerve in cervical [neck area] spine due to degenerative disc disease. This leads pain, weakness and loss of strength in right upper limb. An MRI scan of the cervical spine will help in establishing the proper diagnosis. I suggest you not make any delay in approaching a doctor. The treatment for your problem will depend on the condition diagnosed. Generally, with early diagnosis and early treatment, one can expect favourable outcome after treatment. Temporarily, please follow the below mentioned measures to get some symptomatic relief - - avoid any movements that produces pain - do not use bulky pillow underneath your head while sleeping as this position will produce more compression of the nerves - Use a Soft collar which allow the muscles of the neck to rest and limit neck motion. This can help decrease pinching of nerve roots with movement. Soft collars should only be worn for short periods of time, because long-term wear can decrease the strength of neck muscles. Round arm brace is not required in your case. - Analgesic (diclofenac & lornoxicam) and muscle relaxant (thiocolchicoside) combination medicines will provide symptomatic relief from pain & muscle spasm. Neurotropic vitamins like METHYLCOBALAMINE (activated Vit B12) or PREGABALIN will help in alleviating the neuropathic pain. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedic surgeon with good reputation, for a detailed clinical evaluation, diagnosis of your condition and for further management. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have shoulder, arm and elbow pain. Severe weakness, unable to stretch hand. What could this be? 20 hours later
I have had a cervical fusion. I also know I indeed have 3 bulges at the cervical. However, the pain all of the sudden in the top of my shoulder, unable to move arm up or back, and the swelling in my elbow and forearm has me thinking after a fall I could have rotator cuff issues??? Could you possibly advise your opinion?? Sincere regards and thanks!!!
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be due to rotator cuff tear or tendonitis. Detailed Answer: Hi, Pain in shoulder, weakness and unable to move arm up or back, could be due to rotator cuff tear or tendonitis. I suggest you to go for MRI after consulting your orthopaedician. MRI may show swelling or a tear in the rotator cuff. Hope this helps you. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor