Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Have shortness of breath, chest pressure when using stairs with thyroid. Mother had bi pass surgery

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12684 Questions
I am 47 yrs. old, my Mother had quadruple bi pass surgery when she was 56. she did not smoke. Recently i have been having a shortness of breath, chest pressure when i am walking up and down steps or carrying something. I sometimes feel like I could pass out. I do have a right chamber that doesn't work(RBBB) and I also have thyroid issues. Can you give me some idea what I might be dealing with? I am scheduled for an Ecogram and stress test in a few weeks.
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to thyroid or cardiac problem.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Occasional episodes of chest pressure, dizziness and bouts of breathlessness in an individual that do not recur or cause severe problems can be due to normal variations of the body. Since you have a strong family history, the chances of having a cardiac problem are present.

In your case, if it was a single episode and has not recurred again, then there is no need to be worried. In case the symptoms are recurrent, the cause needs to be identified.

The cause of your symptoms could be due to :-
1. cardiac causes (Hypertension, arrhythmias)
2. lung related issues (exercise induced asthma, etc).
3. Hyperthyroidism
4. Anemia

Hence you would benefit by consulting your cardiologist and getting evaluated with a few tests.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have shortness of breath, chest pressure when using stairs with thyroid. Mother had bi pass surgery 18 hours later
Thank you for getting back to me. This has been going on for several months now. Not consistently, however, it seems to be getting worse. I am seeing a cardiologist but I wasn't sure if it would be heart or Thyroid related. Not sure which Dr. I should be seeing.
I don't have asthma to my knowledge. My primary Dr. gave me an inhaler to try just to see if it helped, I didn't notice any improvement with it.
I guess I just wanted reassured it was nothing significant to worry about.


Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can consult a cardiologist.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
It is best to find out any cardiac cause after proper investigations. If the cardiac pathology is ruled out, then consulting an endocrinologist will help.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor