Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Have shortness of breath. Taking Losartan. Thyroid removed, taking Synthroid. Thermal imaging showed inflammation of lungs. Suggest

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
For the past 10 years, I have been on blood pressure medicine ( Atenelol 50 MG daily). And was just added Losartan HTZ this week. 3-1/2 years ago I had my thyroid removed and am taking Synthroid 125 mg daily. But, for the past 3 years I have been experiencing shortness of breath when I walk a short distance, go up a few stairs, drink from a water bottle, or talk for more than 5 minutes. I have had the chest xrays, some breathing tests, and an extensive blood panel completed. They all came out normal. Last month I had thermal imaging done of my whole body... it showed inflamation of the lungs ( or higher heat than normal). Today, it is so bad that I find myself constantly trying to catch my breath. Not sure what this could be or which type of dr I should visit.
Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Follow-up: Have shortness of breath. Taking Losartan. Thyroid removed, taking Synthroid. Thermal imaging showed inflammation of lungs. Suggest 2 minutes later
By the way, I forgot to mention that I am immediately out of breath when I lift something over 15 pounds.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 55 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

As you rightly put it, the shortness of breath you experience on effort (exertional dysnoea) is very typical of cardiac disease first, then lung disease second. Your medical history with a longstanding history of hypertension deserves a formal exclusion of heart failure. You shall imperatively need to consult a cardiologist, do an ECG and a cardiac ultrasound. All these coupled by a good clinical evaluation shall give for sure a good clinical, diagnostic and therapeutic orientation. It is only after visiting your cardiologist, and doing these exams, and if they are all normal, you will need to move on to a pulmonologist.

For now, I strongly recommend you book an appointment WITH A CARDIOLOGIST. Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health.

Best regards as I wish you a quick recovery. Do not hesitate asking any further questions if need be.

Yours Luchuo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor